Monday, May 9, 2011

Ruby Van Gogh

Ruby loves to draw. But her drawing style is, well, interesting, to say the least. Her drawings have an air of "LOST hatch wall drawings" and "The Shining" mixed into one friendly package. Sometimes, when I come and see what she's been busy with, I expect to see "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" filling the page, twenty times over.

She definitely has a technique. She focuses on simple colours and complex story-lines surrounding her work. In this particular drawing, Ruby tells me it represents "Girls and boys having suckers."

In this next drawing, Ruby says it's "People fighting about whose sucker is this." She also explains that she chose orange "Because I did." The most powerful message about this particular piece is the word "No" printed boldly in the center. Hmmmm, very thought provoking.
The thing that I find the most interesting about Ruby's drawing technique is that while she draws, she actually draws a story. She'll draw a person who then says something and then she draws another person to answer. It's not just drawing for drawing's sake but more of a playtime-drawing situation.

We're slowly collecting enough pieces to have a gallery opening. Dates will be posted at a later date. If you're interested in purchasing one of these pieces, well, you can't. The Louvre has dibs.

3 comments:

mmloewen said...

Ruby Van Gogh, Gramps and Nana NEED
a piece of this artwork. We are willing to pay the price. Keep drawing honey.

Cheryl said...

This is very nice. I was positive they were lady bugs, but ya people eating suckers...i can totally see it now!!!! Never a dull moment and the exhibit will much out do the WAG, hands down.

Lise said...

I'd like to bid on the top drawing....what talent!!