Well, I do care a little. I had these high hopes of taking it away on her birthday. Something like, "Yay! You're 3! You're a big girl! You don't need a soother anymore!"
But then it started looking like this:
And this day that I took this picture, Ruby had just come out of her room from rest time. She showed me the soother which apparently had lost a little more of itself during her rest. And I casually said "Soon you're going to have to throw it away". Well, she decided that that was the day to do so. And she started marching to the garbage can. Whoa, whoa, whoa not so fast! I asked her several times if she was sure she wanted to do that. She wouldn't have it at bedtime. She wouldn't have it at rest time. SHE WOULD NOT HAVE IT. And she said this was all fine with her. So I took a short video of the momentous occasion and took these pictures of dear, dear "Soozy", bless her soul.
But that night I was going out. You know, just a casual clubbin' night with the gals. And Chris was going to put Ruby to bed. And she was having a bad evening to start with but she went to her bed no problem. Sans Soozy. Chris waited. 5 minutes. 10 minutes. 15 minutes. And then suddenly, all the puzzle pieces clicked together in her little 3-year old brain and she cried. No, screamed. And Chris tried to calm her and tried to tell her that it was in the trash but she would have none of it. So being the only parent for the night and having one screaming baby and one screaming toddler on his hands, he dug it out of the trash, boiled it, and gave it back to her. And she fell right to sleep, clutching it in her hands as tight as you can imagine.
And the next morning when Ruby marched into our room, she was carrying her soother in front of her with a look on her face that said, "I won."
So yeah, my 3-year old still has her soother.
8 comments:
oooo ruby..your precious :)
Hi Crystal - thanks for this post - Brody loves his soother at 2 - I too figure - ah...no worries...it'll happen already. Surely he won't be taking it to kindergarten...hmm..
We think it's in her genes.
https://picasaweb.google.com/mmloewen/MyPrecious?authkey=Gv1sRgCNLZo97Gs9fglgE#
Rachel - that's what I'm telling myself too! It's got to end sometime before then :)
Yup, I think it is in her genes, whenever I think of a "doodoo" a certain picture of Chris, me and Ry pops into my head ;)
I know the picture Gina. Ryan is winking, with his soo soo on his lap.
Such good memories!!! :)
well mine was almost 5....so i won't judge you. ha ha
My oldest had his till after 4 -- only in his bed. Only for night. We cut it off, there was nothing there, but it was all about helping him relax. I figured if he went to Kindergarten with it, we'd have an issue...but it's gone ;)
Post a Comment